Viennese Whirls - Coeliac Sanctuary
Posted On: 7th September 2016
Those soft and crumbly Vienesse Whirls, why are they so impossible to buy gluten free, I used to love them before diagnosis. They are a little tricky to make yourself gluten free but they aren't really hard, they take most skill to pipe out though! Fill with your favourite jam and some homemade buttercream.
Recipe By: Jamie Peters at http://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk
This recipe is...
200g soft butter (I just used normal stork for baking butter)
50g icing sugar
200g gluten free self raising flour
Buttercream and filling
80g butter or margarine
160g icing sugar
4 tbsp jam (preferably strawberry or raspberry)
Preparation Time: 10 Mins
Cooking Time: 13 Mins
This recipe is free from...
Celery, Crustaceans, Egg, Fish, Gluten, Lupin, Molluscs, Mustard, Peanuts, Sesame, Soya, Sulphites, Tree Nuts
1. Cut a piece of baking parchment the same size as your baking tray.
2. Get a 5cm cutter (or anything round and around 5cm in diameter) and draw circles onto the baking parchment, leave around an inch between them.
3. Place icing sugar in mixing bowl and add butter then cream together well until very smooth, the key is getting it very soft.
4. Sift the flour into the mix and mix together well.
5. Place mixture into a piping bag and use a small star nozzle to pipe.
6. Optional, but helps keep the parchment still, pipe a little bit of mixture into the 4 corners of the baking tray and use that to stick the baking parchment pen side DOWN (so the drawn circles show through from reverse) and press down in the corners to keep the parchment still while piping.
7. Pipe the mixture into the circles.
8. Pre heat oven to gas mark 5. Cook for around 13 mins.
9). Leave to firm up on baking tray for a few mins before moving to cooling rack.
10. Cream together the butter and icing sugar until well mixed.
11. Spoon a bit of mixture on to every other half.
12. Add around 1/2 tbsp of jam to the empty half and sandwich together, repeat with all the other Viennese whirls.
This recipe makes makes 16
Nutritional info per whirl
© 2020 Coeliac Sanctuary - https://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk