Vegan Jamaican Ginger Cake - Coeliac Sanctuary
Posted On: 23rd November 2018
I adore Jamaican ginger cake, remember when I would go in a shop and buy one and eat the whole thing. It has been so long since I had one I simply had to make myself one, not only is this gorgeously spicy and sticky cake gluten free it is also vegan, the lack of eggs and the use of oil makes it extra moist.
Recipe By: Alison Wheatley at http://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk
This recipe is...
225g gluten free self raising flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tsp mixed spice
115g dairy free spread
115g golden syrup
80g dark brown sugar
250ml dairy free milk
100ml vegetable oil
Preparation Time: 20 Min
Cooking Time: 50 Mins
This recipe is free from...
Celery, Crustaceans, Dairy, Egg, Fish, Gluten, Lupin, Molluscs, Mustard, Peanuts, Sesame, Soya, Sulphites, Tree Nuts
1. Mix flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon and mixed spice in a bowl.
2. Rub in dairy free spread to get a breadcrumb type consistency.
3. Place treacle and golden syrup in a pan and heat until runny but not hot, take off the heat and cool until lukewarm.
4. In another pan add the milk and sugar and heat until sugar is dissolved. Cool until lukewarm.
5. Pour the milk mix into the flour and whisk with a bell whisk, add the treacle mix in along with the oil and whisk until well combined.
6. Grease and line a 2lb cake tin and pour in the mix, bake on gas 4 for 50 mins or until a skewer pressed into the middle comes out clean. Remove from the over and turn out onto a cooling rack. To get a sticky top place in an airtight container for 24 hours or you can't wait that long you can just eat it as it is!
NB: If you don't need it dairy free or vegan you can use regular milk and margarine or butter.
This recipe makes 8 slices
Nutritional info per slice
© 2019 Coeliac Sanctuary - https://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk