I have been craving a vanilla slice for a few weeks so I decided I needed to try and make gluten free ones, and to make my mum happy I made them dairy free too. And, they taste just like I remember gluten filled one from the bakeries. If you don't need dairy free and have patience you could make the puff pastry using our recipe.
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Dairy Free
1 pack Asda gluten free ready rolled puff pastry (Jus Rol one is also fine)
500ml Alpro light soya milk (this is preferred but any dairy free milk will work)
100g caster sugar
4 egg yolks
1tsp vanilla extract (or 2tsp if not using Alpro light soya milk)
50g icing sugarPreparation Time:
30 MinsCooking Time:
2Hrs 30MinsThis recipe makes 8 slices
This recipe is free from...
1. Grease and line two baking tins, 20x16cm is about the right size. Cut the pastry into two squares and place in the tins. Bake on gas mark 7 for 12 mins. The pastry will shrink but that's fine.
2. Remove the pastry from the tins and allow to go cold.
3. To make the filling, place the light soya milk in a pan, you can use any dairy free milk but the Alpro soya light already has a vanilla taste so it really helps the overall flavour. Heat the milk until warm but not boiling.
4. Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and cornflour together in a bowl until well combined.
5. Pour about 50-100ml of the warmed milk onto the egg yolks and whisk until combined. Pour the egg mix into the remaining milk and return the hob, make sure you keep stirring over a low heat until the custard thickens, don't worry if it starts to form lumps just stir vigorously and the custard will go super thick and the lumps vanish.
6. Allow the custard to cool for 15 mins or so in the pan.
7. Line one of the baking tins used earlier with greaseproof paper and place one piece of pastry in the bottom, pour over the custard and place the other piece on top. Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours until the custard is set and cold.
8. Remove from the fridge. Mix a little water with the icing sugar until thick (to thin it won't set),you will need very little water, then spread over the top of the pastry. Return to the fridge to set the icing for at least 15 mins.
9. Once the icing is set, lift the pastry out using the greaseproof and gently peel off. Trim up the custards which have overflowed the pastry slices then cut into 8 pieces.
Nutritional info per slice