Toffee Apples - Coeliac Sanctuary
Posted On: 31st October 2018
Toffee apples are so easy to make, naturally gluten free and are a necessity on bonfire nights. Tradition calls for them to be red but you could leave it natural colour to give it a more autumnal colour or you could add a few drops of black food colouring and they would be a great halloween treat as well as by the bonfire!
Recipe By: Alison Wheatley at http://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk
This recipe is...
200g caster sugar
2tbsp golden syrup
2tsp colouring (red is traditional or black for halloween) (optional)
Preparation Time: 15 Mins
Cooking Time: 25 Mins
This recipe is free from...
Celery, Crustaceans, Dairy, Egg, Fish, Gluten, Lupin, Molluscs, Mustard, Peanuts, Sesame, Soya, Sulphites, Tree Nuts
1. Push lolly sticks (or you could use forks if you don't have lolly sticks) into the top of each apple and set aside.
2. Put the sugar in a pan leave until the edge go golden and shake, the pan, shake again when more has gone golden, once about 1/4 is melted stir with a wooden spoon and continue to melt until all the sugar crystals have dissolved and the sugar is the colour of honey, any darker and the sugar has burnt and will need to be done again.
3. Remove from the eat and add the water, beware it will hiss and spit, return back to the heat immediately and stir to remove any lumps that have formed.
4. Stir in the golden syrup and colouring. Drop a small amount of the sugar mix in cold water, if the toffee is ready it will instantly form a hard ball in the water, if it is still soft continue to heat and try again after a few minutes. Once solid balls form in the water the toffee is done.
5. Dip the apples into the toffee and roll around until covered, then place on a piece of cling film to set, repeat for all 4 apples, if the toffee starts to get really sticky reheat it. Allow around 30 minutes for the toffee to cool completely before eating.
This recipe makes 4 apples
Nutritional info per apple
© 2020 Coeliac Sanctuary - https://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk