Sweet Shortcrust Pastry - Coeliac Sanctuary
Posted On: 25th August 2014
There are some hints and tips needed to perfect shortcrust pastry the gluten free way, using an egg yolk helps your pastry stay firm but not so hard you can't eat it, and always chill it before use! Xanthan gum is used in the recipe to help the pastry bind but you can skip it if necessary, the pastry may be a bit more crumbly though.
Recipe By: Alison Wheatley at http://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk
This recipe is...
225g Gluten free plain flour
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
112g sunflower spread (or other dairy free spread)
1 egg yolk
56g caster sugar
Preparation Time: 15 Mins
Cooking Time: 15 Mins
This recipe is free from...
Celery, Crustaceans, Dairy, Fish, Gluten, Lupin, Molluscs, Mustard, Peanuts, Sesame, Soya, Sulphites, Tree Nuts
1. Sift together the flour, salt and xanthan gum.
2. Rub in the sunflower spread to make a breadcrumb consistency.
3. Mix in the egg yolk and sugar.
4. With a round ended knife, gradually mix in the water until you reach a nice doughy consistency. You might need more or less than the 2 tbsp specified.
5. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 15 mins at least before use.
Soya spread can be replaced with normal margarine if dairy free isn't required
This recipe makes Full pie or 15 small tarts
Nutritional info per Eighth
© 2020 Coeliac Sanctuary - https://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk