I adore sweet and sour chicken, I would eat it everyday if my family would let me so it is a dish I like to make a lot, this recipe is a bit of a twist on that though, instead we have naturally gluten free skewers with a fabulous sweet and sour dipping sauce, great for hot days and to put on the barbie!
This recipe is...
Low Calorie Low Fat High Protein Slimming World Friendly
2 chicken breast fillets (will also work with pork or fish)
100g fresh pineapple
1 red onionSweet and Sour Sauce
1tbsp white wine vinegar
1tbsp sweetener (you can switch for about sugar if you prefer)
1tsp cornflourPreparation Time:
10 MinsCooking Time:
10 MinsThis recipe makes 2 servings
This recipe is free from...
1. Soak 4 wooden skewers in water for 5 minutes, this will prevent them burning under the grill.
2. Chop the pineapple into nicely chunky pieces, it is best to use fresh pineapple as they tend to stay on the skewers better than canned. Peel and chop the onion in wedges.
3. Cut the chicken breasts into bitesize chunks.
4. Thread a piece of chicken onto a skewer, then some pineapple and onion, alternating until you have about 3 of each on skewer, end with a piece of chicken if you can, it just holds the rest on better.
5. Place the skewers under a hot grill and grill on each side for about 3-5 minutes, the chicken needs to be starting to brown (otherwise you can pretty much guarantee it isn't cooked in the middle) and the pineapple and onion will also have some browned areas, just try not to let them burn to much.
6. While waiting for the skewers, mix all sauce ingredients except the cornflour together in a bowl.
7. Pour the sauce into a pan and place on a low heat, bring almost to boiling but not quite, it will only take a couple of minutes.
8. Mix the cornflour with about a teaspoon on water and pour into the sauce, keep on the heat and stir until thickened, this shouldn't take more than 30 seconds, a minute max. Once it thickens remove from the heat and serve with your skewers! Either pour it over or dip in the skewers!
Nutritional info per serving