Stollen is a popular German Christmas bread which is a fabulous alternative to Christmas cake, or you could have course serve both! It is a rich, fruity bread with marzipan running through the centre and our version is fabulously gluten free and dairy free, plus it is packed with delectable fruit and nuts.
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Low Fat Dairy Free
250g gluten free self raising flour
1tsp xanthan gum
1tsp baking powder
75g sunflower spread
100g caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
Zest of one lemon
1tsp almond extract
300g dried mixed fruit
200g golden marzipan
10g icing sugarPreparation Time:
25 MinsCooking Time:
50 MinsThis recipe makes 10 servings
This recipe is free from...
1. Sift together the flour, xanthan gum and baking powder.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan and allow to cool slightly.
3. Mix the eggs, caster sugar and lemon zest into the flour mix.
4. Beat the melted butter into the mixture, mix vigourously, you should have a sticky dough consistency.
5. Add in the almond extract, pistachios and mixed fruit and stir well.
6. Place half of the mix in a loaf tin.
7. Roll the marzipan into a long sausage, so it is just slightly shorter than then the loaf tin and lay on top of mixture, spoon the rest of the cake mix on top and down the sides to cover the marzipan
8. Turn the uncooked cake out onto a greased baking tray, push the edges down to make it more rounded, and then place into a oven preheated to gas mark 4 for 40-50 minutes until golden brown.
Soya spread can be replaced with normal margarine if dairy free is not required
Nutritional info per serving