These are totally Harry Potter inspired. Have you ever wanted to try pumpkin pasties? They are relatively easy to make and a great way of using up the pumpkin flesh from the inside of your jack-o-lanterns. The pastry is the trickiest part to master but you can use a mix like we have done or follow our pastry recipe.
This recipe is...
500g of Gluten Free shortcrust pastry (either use our recipe
minus the sugar or use a ready mix such as Chefs Promise.)
2 red onions
1tsp ground cinnamon
1/2tsp ground ginger
12tsp ground cumin
Pinch ground black pepper
1 eggPreparation Time:
20 MinsCooking Time:
1 HourThis recipe makes 3 pasties
This recipe is free from...
1. Make pastry up as per instructions.
2. Place the pastry in the fridge to chill while you prepare the filling.
3. Peel and chop pumpkin into bitesize chunks, place on a baking tray. Chop the red onion into thick wedges and throw them in with the pumpkin.
4. Mix rosemary, cinnamon, ginger, cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper together and sprinkle over the veg. Place in an oven preheated to gas mark 4 for 30-40 minutes until the veg is soft.
5. Remove veg from the oven and place in a bowl, lightly crush the pumpkin and mix to combine all the onion and spices, don't crush until to its mashed but so it is chunky but released some of the liquid.
6. Roll out your pastry to around 3-4mm thick, and cut out a circle, we found the size of a side plate was big enough.
7. Leaving around an inch round the edge spoon in some of the filling onto half of the pastry round. Pull the other side over and them crimp with a fork to join the two edges together. Place on a baking tray and brush with beaten egg. Repeat to make 2 more pasties.
8. Bake in the oven on gas mark 5 for around 15-20 minutes until pastry is well golden and cooked through.
Nutritional info per pasty