A rich fruit cake is the traditional cake of choice at Christmas time, but it doesn't only have to be for Christmas. A lovely fruit loaf goes great with a good strong cup of tea, this one is gluten and dairy free so no need to miss out on a good slab of it. You could even pretend it's Bara Brith, it is fairly close in flavour.
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Dairy Free
140g sunflower spread
140g dark brown muscovado sugar
150g gluten free self raising flour
50g ground almonds
1tsp mixed spice
300g dried mixed fruit
60ml almond milkPreparation Time:
25 MinsCooking Time:
2 HoursThis recipe makes 8 slices
This recipe is free from...
1. In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar with a fork.
2. Whisk the eggs into the sunflower spread and sugar, one egg at a time. You will end up with a runny, grainy mix which almost looks curdled.
3. Sieve in the flour and add the ground almonds, fold into the mix until well combined.
4. Add in the mixed fruit and almond milk and mix well.
5. Grease a large loaf tin and line with grease proof paper, place in the mix into the tin and then put in an oven preheated to gas mark 4 for 1 and half to 2 hours. The cake is cooked when a knife or skewer pushed into the middle comes out clean.
Butter or margarine can be used in place of sunflower spread, almond milk can be replaced with regular milk or soya milk
Nutritional info per slice