Red velvet cake is one of those cakes that has grown so much is popularity, a light chocolate sponge with a distinctive red colouring topped with a fluffy cream cheese frosting. It's not something you see gluten free a lot let alone dairy free which we have done with the help of some vegan cream cheese.
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Low Fat Dairy Free
IngredientsFor the Cake
100ml soya milk
1/2tbsp cider vinegar
180g gluten free plain flour
1/2tsp gluten free baking powder
150g caster sugar
70ml sunflower oil
1/2tbsp red gel food colouring
1 tbsp vanilla extractFor the Topping
220g soya cream cheese (we used Sheese)
100g icing sugar
80g dairy free spread
1/2tsp vanilla extractPreparation Time:
15 MinsCooking Time:
20 MinsThis recipe makes 22 cakes
This recipe is free from...
1. Place the soya milk and vinegar in a jug and leave to stand for 5 mins.
2. Meanwhile in a bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
3. In a large bowl whisk the 2 eggs for a couple of minutes until thick and creamy, add in the soya milk mixture, oil, food colouring and vanilla and continue to whisk for another minute or two until well mixed.
4. With the whisk on, slowly pour in the dry ingredients, continue to whisk until well combined, the mix is fairly liquidy, don't expect it to be thick like normal cake batter.
5. Heat oven to gas mark 4, line cupcake tins with paper cases and 3/4 fill each one with the mix. Place the cakes in the oven for about 20 minute until springy.
6. While the cakes are cooking whisk together all the ingredients for the topping until thick and creamy, place in the fridge until cakes are cool enough to spread it on the top.
If you wish for the recipe to not be dairy free soya milk can be substituted for regular milk, dairy free spread replaced by normal margarine and soya cream cheese replaced with regualar cream cheese
Nutritional info per cupcake