Ahh, burgers, a popular favourite, but you don't always want a meaty burger, so how about a vegetarian alternative that is naturally gluten free? This burger uses quinoa and kale and is lightly spiced to create a delicate yet also spicy burger. Place it in a mushroom bun if you want to keep the carbs low and naturally gluten free!
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Low Calorie Low Sugar High Protein High Fibre Slimming World Friendly
500ml vegetable stock
1 red onion
1tsp crushed garlic
1/4tsp cayenne pepper
Juice of half a lemon
12 portobello mushrooms
180g cheddar cheese (optional)Preparation Time:
15 MinsCooking Time:
35 MinsThis recipe makes 6 burgers
This recipe is free from...
1. Place the quinoa in a pan with boiling hot vegetable stock, place on a medium heat and cook until the quinoa "pops" and all the stock has been absorbed (about 10 mins).
2. Allow the quinoa to cool, it doesn't need to be fully cold but not piping hot.
3. While the quinoa is cooling, roughly chop the kale, removing any stalks and dice the red onion, place both together in a large bowl.
4. Add the garlic, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper and lemon to the kale and onion and mix. Crack in the egg and mix again.
5. Pour the quinoa into the kale mix and mix really well ensuring everything in coated.
6. Grease a baking tray and place a crumpet ring or medium/large cookie cutter on the tray. Add a couple of spoonfuls of the mix into the middle of the ring and press down to compact. Full the ring as full as you can. Gently lift the ring from round the burger patty and repeat until the tray is full and the mix fully used.
7. Place in an oven preheated to gas mark 5 for 15-20 minutes until starting to brown and firm to touch.
8. Place the mushrooms on another baking tray and place in the oven along with the burgers for about 10-15 minutes (you may want to put these in once the burgers have been in for 5-10 mins)
9. Grate the cheddar and place some of top of each burger, return to the oven for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese. If you don't want cheese, you can skip this step.
10. Once the mushrooms have heated through and the burgers are cooked. Place one mushroom upside down on a plate, add some salad if you like, place a burger on top of the mushroom and top with a second mushroom.
Nutritional info per burger