I do love a good quiche lorraine, filled with cheese and bacon, it is great to take on picnics or you could take a slab to work for lunch. This is a popular quiche which doesn't take all that much effort to make, the hardest part is the gluten free pastry. With the addition of cheese and bacon it is one of those lunchtimes treats that will be a hit.
This recipe is...
Low Sugar FODMAP Friendly
225g GF plain flour
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1 egg yolk
2tsp mixed herbs
3 rashers bacon
150g cheddar cheese
1 tsp mixed herbsPreparation Time:
30 MinsCooking Time:
1 Hour 10 MinsThis recipe makes 8 slices
This recipe is free from...
1. Sift together the flour, salt and xanthan gum.
2. Rub in the margarine until you get a breadcrumb consistency.
3. Stir the egg yolk and herbs into the flour mix.
4. With a round ended knife, gradually mix in the water until you reach a nice doughy consistency. You might need more or less than the 4 tbsp we used. The pastry needs to reach a stage where it doesn't crumble apart and also isn't too wet.
5. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 15 mins or so before use.
6. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface, if you find it sticks and crumbles too much this way, roll it between two pieces of cling film.
7. Grease a 10in flan dish with some margarine and lay over the pastry, push the pastry into the sides and remove any overflowing bits with a knife.
8. Cut a piece of baking parchment an inch or two bigger than the dish, place inside the pastry case and fill with baking beans or rice, place into a oven preheated to gas mark 5 and allow to blind back for 20-25 mins.
9. While the pastry is in the oven, grill the bacon until the rind is nicely crispy and then cut into bitesized chunks and set aside, grate 150g of cheese into a bowl and set that aside too. Finish the filling preparation by beating the eggs and milk together in a jug or bowl.
10. Once the pastry has finished blind baking, remove from the oven and remove the greaseproof paper/rice/beans. Place the bacon on the bottom of the pastry case, scatter over about 80% of the cheese, pour over the egg solution and finish off by scattering the remaining cheese on the top along with some mixed herbs.
11. Place the quiche in the oven, again on gas mark 5, allow to cook for 40-45 mins until the top is nice and golden and the egg is set.
Nutritional info per slice