Autumnal pumpkin can be used in so many dishes and those dishes don't have to be savoury, it works so well in so many sweet dishes and cakes. In sweet dishes pumpkin needs some added spice to give it a kick and they certainly get that in these tasty little cakes. These are dairy free as well as gluten free too!
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Low Fat Dairy Free FODMAP Friendly
280g gluten free self raising flour (I used Free From Fairy's for this recipe)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp gluten free bicarbinate of soda
110g dairy free spread
100g caster sugar
2tbsp golden syrup
250g pureed pumpkinFrosting
80g dairy free spread
160g icing sugar
1 1/2tbsp pureed pumpkin
1/2tsp ground cloves
1/2tsp nutmegPreparation Time:
15 MinsCooking Time:
20 MinsThis recipe makes 18 cakes
This recipe is free from...
1. In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, spices and bicarb and set aside.
2. Cream together the dairy free spread and caster sugar, once smooth add in the golden syrup and mix well.
3. Crack in one egg and beat with a wooden spoon, then fold in half the flour and spice mix, beat and repeat until both eggs and all the flour mix as been beat in.
4. Fold in the pumpkin puree.
NB: At halloween time you can either buy pumpkin puree in a can or, as I prefer make it yourself. Deseed, peel and chop up the pumpkin flesh, place in a pan of water and boil for about 30-40 mins until the pumpkin is soft. Place in a blender and blend until smooth. A large pumpkin makes between 1.5 and 3kg of pumpkin puree. You can freeze the puree too.
5. Line a cupcake tin with paper cupcake cases and fill until 3/4 full. You should get about 18 out of the mix.
6. Bake in the oven on gas mark 5 for about 20 mins or until golden.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then top with frosting.
8. To make the pumpkin spices buttercream frosting, cream together the dairy free spread and icing sugar, beat in one and a half tablespoon of pumpkin puree and the spices. Drop some of the buttercream on top of the cupcakes, or pipe if you wish!
Dairy free spread can be replaced with normal margarine if dairy free is not required
Nutritional info per cake