Nougat, that delicious sugary, almost sickly sweet piece of confectionery you usually buy in large sticks. A lot of bought nougat is naturally gluten free but it is more fun to make your own, it is a fairly time consuming process but worth the effort, it is still super sweet but very satisfying to make.
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Low Calorie Low Sugar Low Fat
1 egg white
230g icing sugar
1 tsp liquid glucose
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp honey
Sugar thermometerPreparation Time:
20 MinsCooking Time:
1 Hour 20 MinsThis recipe makes 20 squares
This recipe is free from...
1. Place pistachios on a baking try and roast on gas mark 3 for 10 minutes and set aside.
2. Whisk egg white in a bowl until stiff peaks are reached and set aside
3. Place the icing sugar, glucose, water and honey in a pan and mix together, the mixture will be very stiff.
4. Place pan over a low heat and gently heat until the soft crack stage (around 135 degrees C on sugar thermometer) is reached, stir occasionally as the mix loosens up, this process will take 10 minutes or so.
5. Slowly drizzle the syrup into the egg whites while whisking, keep whisking until you get a nice thick mixture with stiff peaks. Stir in the pistachios
6. Line a cake pan with baking parchment and sprinkle over some icing sugar. Pour in the mixture and allow to cool and set, this will take about an hour or so.
7. Remove from the tin onto a surface covered with icing sugar to prevent sticking, cut into 20 pieces.
NB: If you can\'t get liquid glucose, you can make your own using 1 tsp of water and 1 tsp of caster sugar dissolved in the microwave for a few seconds.
Nutritional info per square