Cumin in cakes just sounds so wrong on so many levels but this Middle Eastern spice pairs so well with the sweetness of persimmon fruits. When made like an upside down cake, persimmon take on a kind of sticky top to give a gorgeous topping to a very different cumin spiced gluten free cake.
This recipe is...
Vegetarian High Protein
2 persimmon fruits
120g caster sugar + 8tsp
180g gluten free plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp ground cumin
100g natural greek yogurt
50g desiccated coconutPreparation Time:
20 MinsCooking Time:
30 MinsThis recipe makes 8 cakes
This recipe is free from...
1. Slice the persimmon fruits (discarding the bottom and top) into slices about 3-4mm thick.
2. Grease a muffin tin, sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar into each hole and then press a slice of persimmon into the bottom of each. Set tray aside.
3. In a bowl cream together the margarine and caster sugar, beat in one egg, followed by the other.
4. Sift in the flour, baking powder and cumin and beat well to combine. Stir in the greek yogurt and coconut.
5. Spoon the mixture on top of the persimmon slices until the holes are just over 3/4 full.
6. Place in an oven preheated to gas mark 5 for 25-30 minutes until well browned on the top.
7. Once cooked through turn out onto a cooling rack and leave this way round, almost like an upside down cake.
Nutritional info per cake