Parkin is a traditional Northern England cake, more specifically originating from Yorkshire but also very popular over most of the North, this cake is spiced with ginger and made with oats, it is a beautiful cake to have around Autumn and Winter especially served warm with a good scoop of ice cream!
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Low Fat
110g dark brown sugar
70g black treacle
180g golden syrup
225g pure/gluten free oats
110g gluten free self raising flour
2tbsp mixed spice
45g ground almondsPreparation Time:
20 MinsCooking Time:
1 Hour 10 MinsThis recipe makes 12 slices
This recipe is free from...
1. Place the butter, sugar, treacle and golden syrup in a saucepan and heat over a medium heat until butter has melted and sugar dissolved.
2. Place the oats in a blender and blend into coarse powder.
3. Pour the ground oats into a large bowl along with the flour, mixed spice and ginger, mix well, then pour in the treacle mix and beat together.
4. Using a wooden spoon, beat in the two eggs, milk and almonds until well combined.
5. Grease a square cake pan and pour in the cake mixture, place in an over
preheated to gas mark 1 and cook for around 1 hour 10 mins, but keep and eye on it as it overcooks and dries out very quickly.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 mins before turning out onto a cooling rack. Once cold cut into 12 pieces.
This recipe was first seen on our 2017 calendar.
Nutritional info per slice