If you love carrot cake you will love these, they are little gems which pack the punch of carrot cake but also have added sweetness of orange juice. The cake is so soft with grated carrot and gentle spices, iced with a sweet and mild orange flavoured icing. They are both sweet and spicy all at one.
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Low Fat Dairy Free FODMAP Friendly
100g grated carrot
Zest of 2 oranges
4 medium eggs
100g caster sugar
100ml sunflower or vegetable oil
Juice of 2 oranges
260g gluten free self raising flour
2tsp baking powder
1tsp ground cinnamon
80g icing sugarPreparation Time:
15 MinsCooking Time:
20 MinsThis recipe makes 18 cupcakes
This recipe is free from...
1. Place the grated carrot and around three quarters of the orange zest (reserving just enough for the top of the cupcakes, a tablespoon we'd say) into a small bowl.
2. In a larger bowl beat together the eggs, caster sugar, oil and most of the orange juice (reserve 3 tbsp's for the icing) until well combined, then mix in the grated carrot and zest.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and cinnamon into the egg mix and gently fold in until all ingredients are combined and thick.
4. Place cupcake cases into a cupcake tray, fill each one to about half full, you should get around 18 cupcakes out of the mix.
5. Heat an oven to gas mark 5 and place the tin in the oven for around 15-20 mins until lovely and golden on the top.
6. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Once cold, mix the icing sugar with a spoonful of orange juice reserved from earlier, you may not need all of it, just add it a bit at a time so you get an icing that is neither to thick or too think.
7. Using a teaspoon, place a dollop of icing on the top of each cake, the icing will run nicely down the curves of the cake. Finis
Nutritional info per cupcake