Lemon Meringue Cupcakes - Coeliac Sanctuary
Posted On: 29th March 2016
If you love lemon meringue pie you are going to love the cake version, they are much easier to make then the pie. These gluten free little cupcakes contain a gorgeously tangy lemon curd and then topped with some meringue and browned so you get and beautiful lemon meringue but incorporated into a cake!
Recipe By: Alison Wheatley at http://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk
This recipe is...
200g caster sugar
200g gluten free self raising flour
12tsp lemon curd
2 egg whites
130g caster sugar
Preparation Time: 20 Mins
Cooking Time: 30 Mins
This recipe is free from...
Celery, Crustaceans, Fish, Gluten, Lupin, Molluscs, Mustard, Peanuts, Sesame, Soya, Sulphites, Tree Nuts
1. Cream together margarine and caster sugar until creamy.
2. Beat the eggs in a jug, add one third of the egg into the margarine and sugar, mix together, then add one third of the flour, repeat until all the egg and flour is mixed in.
3. Line a cupcake tin with cake cases, fill each case with the cake batter until about one third full.
4. Once each case is one third full, add a tsp of lemon curd to the centre of each, then on top of that fill the cases with more cake batter.
5. Place in an oven heated to gas mark 5 and cook for 15-20 mins until cooked through and browned.
6. Once cooked allow the cakes to go cold, once cold, whisk your egg whites to stiff peaks.
7. Gradually add the caster sugar to the egg whites while still whisking to get a nice glossy texture, once the mix leaves trails across the top when the whisk is lifted the meringue is ready.
8. Spoon a large spoonful of the meringue onto the top of each cake, to make it look more like lemon meringue ensure there are peaks on the top.
9. Place the cakes on a baking sheet and place under the grill for 5 mins until the meringue starts to brown, alternatively if you have a blow torch you can use that to brown the meringue.
This recipe makes 12 cakes
Nutritional info per cake
© 2019 Coeliac Sanctuary - https://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk