Lamingtons are beautiful sponge cakes coated in chocolate sauce and rolled in coconut, simple as that. They are relatively easy to make, though being gluten free they do crumble a little more than regular which is why we have included xanthan gum, you just need to be a bit more delicate when coating them. This version is also dairy free!
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Dairy Free FODMAP Friendly
125g dairy free spread
125g caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
175g gluten free self raising flour
1tsp xanthan gum
3tbsp coconut milkIcing
100g dairy free spread
350g icing sugar
2tbsp cocoa powder mixed with 6bsp warm water
100g desiccated coconutPreparation Time:
20 MinsCooking Time:
30 MinsThis recipe makes 12 cakes
This recipe is free from...
1. Beat the spread until creamy and then beat in the sugar.
2. Beat in the eggs one by one.
3. Add the vanilla extract and sieve in the flour and xanthan gum.
4. Beat in the coconut milk, the batter should drop off the spoon when lifted, not too thin.
5. Preheat oven to gas mark 4, grease an 8 inch square cake tin and pour the batter into the tin. Bake in the oven 30 mins until golden.
6. Once cooked remove from oven, allow to cool slightly in the tin and then tip out onto a cooling rack, allow to cake to go cold.
7. Once the cake is cold, beat together the spread and icing sugar to make a butter cream and then add in the cocoa and water mix. Place the desiccated coconut in a separate bowl.
8. Cut the cake into 12 rectangles, pick each piece up using 2 forks, roll each piece around in the chocolate icing coating thoroughly, then coat in coconut, place on a plate and allow the icing to set, repeat with each piece of cake. If the icing becomes to thick to work with add a little coconut milk.
If you wish the cakes to not be dairy free, you can switch the dairy free spread to any margarine or butter and the coconut milk to normal milk.
Nutritional info per cake