Kruidnoten - Coeliac Sanctuary
Posted On: 1st December 2018
Kruidnoten is a popular biscuit traditional eaten during Sinterklaas, the Dutch celebration of the name day of Saint Nicholas, which is celebrated on the 6th December. These beautiful little cookies are a spice sensation with a proper Christmas feel, our version has been made gluten free and is also dairy free and vegan.
Recipe By: Alison Wheatley at http://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk
This recipe is...
Speculaas Spice Mix
1/2tsp ground cloves
1/4tsp ground ginger
1/4tsp ground aniseed (optional)
1/8tsp white pepper
300g gluten free self raising flour
120g dark brown sugar
100g sunflower spread
Preparation Time: 15 Mins
Cooking Time: 15 Mins
This recipe is free from...
Celery, Crustaceans, Dairy, Egg, Fish, Gluten, Lupin, Molluscs, Mustard, Peanuts, Sesame, Soya, Sulphites, Tree Nuts
1. Combine all the spices together for the Speculaas spice mix and set aside.
2. Mix the flour, sugar, salt and spices together in a bowl.
3. Add the sunflower spread to the flour mix and lightly mix in with you fingers, add in some of the water and gently bring together with your fingers, add in more water until you get a soft but slightly sticky mixture, 6tsp should get you to the right consistency but you may need a little more or less.
4. Grease and line a baking tray, preheat oven to gas mark 4.
5. Break of pieces of dough and roll into balls about half in inch big, just about the size of a marble. Place on the baking tray, you can put them about a centimetre apart, they don't spread too much. Press down lightly to flatten, then bake in the oven for 15 minutes. You should get 80-100 cookie treats from the mixture.
6. Leave to cool and store in an airtight container.
If dairy free isn't required you can use any margarine or butter instead of sunflower spread
This recipe makes 80-100 biscuits
Nutritional info per biscuit
© 2019 Coeliac Sanctuary - https://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk