Wagon Wheels are certainly something I miss as a Coeliac but they are relatively easy to make gluten free yourself. We even made them dairy free but if you don't need dairy free it just means you can use any gluten free chocolate.
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Dairy Free
100g caster sugar
100g sunflower spread
1tsp vanilla extract
275g gluten free plain flourFilling and Coating
100g white marshmallows
20g sunflower spread
8 tsp strawberry jam
180g dairy free chocolatePreparation Time:
1 HourCooking Time:
12 MinsThis recipe makes 8 wheels
This recipe is free from...
1. Cream together the caster sugar and sunflower spread then crack in the egg and add the vanilla extract, beat in with a wooden spoon.
2. Add the plain flour and beat in to create a thick dough. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for 10 mins before rolling.
3. Once chilled place between 2 pieces of cling film and roll out until about half a centimetre thin, cut out 16 rounds with a 6cm cookie cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking tray and bake on gas mark 5 for 10-12 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack, allow to go cold before continuing.
5. Once the biscuits are cold put a teaspoon of jam on 8 of the biscuits (the other 8 will be the tops)
6. Place the marshmallows and 20g sunflower spread in a saucepan and place on a low heat, stir until the marshmallow has melted. You need to work quick with this as it sets fast and feels like you are working with chewing gum!
7. Add a dollop of the marshmallow on top of the jam but not to much, be prepared for it to run and get really sticky. Place a plain biscuit on top to sandwich together.
8. Cover a plate or baking tray with cling film and set aside.
9. Melt dairy free chocolate in a bowl (few seconds in the microwave),balance a biscuit sandwich on a fork and dip in the chocolate so the bottom gets coated, use a spoon to coat the rest with chocolate. Place the wheel on to the cling filmed plate/tray. Repeat with the other wheels.
10. Put the tray/plate of wagon wheels in the fridge to set for half an hour or more before eating.
Nutritional info per wheel