Jam tarts are a popular favourite but the pastry isn't always easy to master when it comes to gluten free. Once you have the pastry down you can fill those cases with whichever jam you prefer for fabulous jammy tarts! Our top tip is to use egg in the pastry, it keeps it that bit softer, so it doesn't got rock solid so fast.
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Low Calorie Low Sugar Low Fat FODMAP Friendly
225g Gluten free plain flour
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
112g soya spread (or other dairy free spread)
1 egg yolk
56g caster sugar
150g jam/lemon curd (about a heaped tsp per tart)Preparation Time:
20 MinsCooking Time:
35 MinsThis recipe makes 15 tarts
This recipe is free from...
1. Sift together the flour, salt and xanthan gum.
2. Rub in the soya spread to make a breadcrumb consistency.
3. Mix in the egg yolk and sugar.
4. With a round ended knife, gradually mix in the water until you reach a nice doughy consistency. You might need more or less than the 2 tbsp specified.
5. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 15 mins or so before use.
6. Grease a muffin tin, roll out the dough and cut with a largish cookie cutter, push the rounds into the muffin tin to make pastry cases, add a tsp of jam or lemon curd to each case and bake for 20 mins on gas mark 5.
Soya spread can be replaced with normal margarine if dairy free isn't required
Nutritional info per tart