I used to love the bags of mini ice gems you can buy in the biscuit aisles, especially when I was in school! They are really not to difficult to make yourself gluten free and even Vegan, it just takes some patience to decorate them all! I did mine all white but you can do all kinds of funky colours!
This recipe is...
Vegan Low Calorie Low Fat
175g gluten free plain flour
1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
70g sunflower spread
50g caster sugar
1tbsp maple syrup
1/2tbsp vanilla extract
1/4tbsp soya milk (or almond or coconut would work)
150g icing sugar
30ml waterPreparation Time:
15 MinsCooking Time:
20 MinsThis recipe makes 150 gems
This recipe is free from...
1. In a bowl mix together flour, bicarb and salt whilst in another bowl cream together spread, sugar, syrup and vanilla.
2. Add the flour mix to the creamed ingredients and once semi combined mix together with hands until you get a rollable dough. If too crumbly add the milk until dough is stiff but not wet, if dough is already stuff and not crumbly leave it out.
3. Roll out the dough, cut out 1cm rounds using a small icing cutter, either round or a flower shaped cutter work well. You should get around 150 1cm biscuits out of the dough.
4. Place on baking trays and bake for 5-8 mins on gas mark 4 until cooked but not brown, remove from oven and allow to cool.
5. Mix water with icing sugar to make icing, you want it quite think but pipable. Place in a piping bag with a small nozzle (or a sandwich bag with a corner cut off will also work) and place a small amount of icing on the centre of each, allow to set for at least an hour.
NB Instead of doing all white icing, split the icing into separate bowls and add a drop of food colouring gel to each to make different coloured iced tops.
Nutritional info per 10 gems