Love a hot cross bun? Love scones? Why not give these a try, these scones have the spice and fruit the same as hot cross buns and are topped with that traditional cross, they are of course gluten free, light and crumbly and they go great with a good dollop of jam and a mug of tea on the side!
This recipe is...
350g gluten free self raising flour
80g margarine or butter
50g brown sugar
1tbsp mixed spice
30g gluten free flour (any kind)
1tsp sugarPreparation Time:
25 MinsCooking Time:
15 MinsThis recipe makes 12 scones
This recipe is free from...
1. Place the flour in a large bowl, add the margarine then using your hands rub the margarine into the flour to create a breadcrumb type consistency.
2. Stir the brown sugar, sultanas, mixed spice and cinnamon into the flour mix.
3. Crack in the eggs and beat in with a wooden spoon.
4. You may need more or less of the milk than stated, gradually mix it in using the wooden spoon until you get a dough which is soft but handleable consistency. Place the dough in cling film and place in the fridge to chill for 10-15 mins.
5. While the dough in chilling, mix the flour, milk and sugar together for the cross on top. If the mix is quite runny still add some more flour. You should get a thick rollable dough, roll think and cut into strips to lie across the scones.
6. Take the scone dough from the fridge, gently press it down, you need it to be a good inch or two thick, they will spread and rise a bit but will remain almost the same height.
7. Using a cutter about 3" diameter cut 12 scones from the mix, reroll the mix until all used up. Lie strips of the cross dough over the top of the scones.
8. Place the scones on a greased baking tray and bake in an oven preheated to gas mark 7 for 15 mins.
Nutritional info per scone