Hawaiian Salmon Poke - Coeliac Sanctuary
Posted On: 29th May 2018
Pronounced poh-keh this is a traditional Hawaiian salad which is super easy to tweak to be gluten free, it's just a simple case of switching soy sauce to tamari sauce. For it to be a poke there are some key requirements - rice and raw fish, other than that you can use whatever fruit and veg you like with it!
Recipe By: Alison Wheatley at http://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk
This recipe is...
4 spring onions
5 or 6 leaves of a Chinese lettuce
4tbsp tamari sauce
1/4tsp sesame oil
1/2tsp chilli powder
1/2tsp chopped garlic
4 slices smoked salmon
Preparation Time: 20 Mins
Cooking Time: 10 Mins
This recipe is free from...
Celery, Crustaceans, Dairy, Egg, Fish, Gluten, Lupin, Molluscs, Mustard, Peanuts, Soya, Tree Nuts
1. Place the rice in a pan of boiling water and cook over a medium heat until tender. While waiting for the rice you can prepare the rest of the dish.
2. Chop the cucumber into matchsticks and set aside. Slice the spring onions lengthways, chop the ends of the radishes and slice up, shred the Chinese leaves and peel and grate the carrot, set aside with the cucumber.
3. Peel the orange and cut segments from about half the orange so you have a good 4 or 5 each, try and cut either side of the tough pith so you just have the juicy segments. Squeeze the juice from the remaining half of orange into a bowl.
4. To the orange juice the tamari sauce, sesame oil, chilli powder and garlic and mix.
5. Once the rice is cooked, rice off and ideally allow to cool but you can serve hot, it is up to you.
6. If you are serving in a bowl as is tradition then place the rice in the bottom of the bowl. If, like me, you don't have a big enough bowl serve on a place, I placed my rice in the centre.
7. When serving in a bowl, place all the fruit and veg on the top along with some smoked salmon (raw fish is traditional on a poke but you could use avocado if you want to make it vegetarian or vegan), then drizzle over the sauce. If you're using a plate arrange the fruit and vegetable around the outside of the rice and place the salmon on top of the rice, drizzle over the dressing.
This recipe makes 2 servings
Nutritional info per serving
© 2019 Coeliac Sanctuary - https://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk