Gluten Free Eateries, Blogs, Recipes. Reviews and more...
Gluten Free Pumpkin Cakes
Autumnal pumpkin can be used in so many dishes and those dishes don't have to be savoury, it works so well in so many sweet dishes and cakes. In sweet dishes pumpkin needs some added spice to give it a kick and they certainly get that in these tasty little cakes. These are dairy free as well as gluten free too!
1. In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, spices and bicarb and set aside.
2. Cream together the dairy free spread and caster sugar, once smooth add in the golden syrup and mix well.
3. Crack in one egg and beat with a wooden spoon, then fold in half the flour and spice mix, beat and repeat until both eggs and all the flour mix as been beat in.
4. Fold in the pumpkin puree.
NB: At halloween time you can either buy pumpkin puree in a can or, as I prefer make it yourself. Deseed, peel and chop up the pumpkin flesh, place in a pan of water and boil for about 30-40 mins until the pumpkin is soft. Place in a blender and blend until smooth. A large pumpkin makes between 1.5 and 3kg of pumpkin puree. You can freeze the puree too.
5. Line a cupcake tin with paper cupcake cases and fill until 3/4 full. You should get about 18 out of the mix.
6. Bake in the oven on gas mark 5 for about 20 mins or until golden.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then top with frosting.
8. To make the pumpkin spices buttercream frosting, cream together the dairy free spread and icing sugar, beat in one and a half tablespoon of pumpkin puree and the spices. Drop some of the buttercream on top of the cupcakes, or pipe if you wish!