If you have a spare half a day and love puff pastry you need to give this a go. It is a very tedious process to make gluten free buttery puff pastry but it is worth all the blood, sweat and tears. It really does the make the best sausage rolls but be prepared to spend a lot of times on it! The key is solid block butter!!
This recipe is...
350g gluten free self raising flour
Pinch of salt
2 large eggs
100ml cold water
250g unsalted block butterPreparation Time:
12 HoursCooking Time:
30 MinsThis recipe makes 650g of pastry
This recipe is free from...
1. Mix together flour, salt, eggs and water with your fingers until well combined.
2. Place the dough on a floured surface and kneed for a few minutes.
3. Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and place into the fridge for 2 hours.
4. While the dough in chilling roll the butter out into a rectangle between two pieces of greaseproof paper, this is easier if you hit it with a rolling pin until fairly flat. Roll out until you get a 40x20cm rectangle. Chill in the fridge for an hour.
5. Roll the dough into a 60x20cm rectangle, place rolled out butter over the bottom two thirds, fold unbuttered third of the dough over the top of the butter and then fold up the bottom third over the top.
6. Chill dough covered into the fridge for another hour.
7. Remove from covering, with short end toward you roll again into a rough 60x20cm rectangle, fold the top quarter down so the edge is in the middle, fold bottom quarter to the middle so the top and bottom edges meet, then fold the dough over like a book with the two edges folded before in the middle. Wrap and chill for another hour.
8. Unwrap, roll again into rough 60x20cm rectangle with short edge toward you, fold down top third, fold up bottom third over the top and then wrap and chill again for another hour.
9. Repeat step 8 once but this time chill the pastry ideally over night, the colder the pastry the better. Chilling should be for at least a few hours minimum but we recommend overnight for best results.
10. Pastry is now ready to use. Roll out and use however you like.
NB: For sausage rolls, roll into a rectangle, skin 4 gluten free sausages, place the meat down the middle, brush a little egg down one side of the pastry, fold other side over the meat and press down, cut into 8 for large sausage rolls or 16 to 20 for bitesize and bake for 30-35 mins on gas mark 6.
Nutritional info per 50g pastry serving