Angel cake has to be my favourite cake, I've been wanting to make a gluten free one for so long but not had chance, until now. Beautiful, light layered sponge with delicate flavours to each tier, sandwiched with buttercream and topped with silky icing, an absolute stunner of a cake.
This recipe is...
90g caster sugar
3tsp vegetable oil
90g gluten free plain flour
drop vanilla extract
drop yellow colour
drop lemon extract
drop pink colour
drop raspberry or strawberry flavouringButtercream
100g icing sugarIcing
65g icing sugarPreparation Time:
30 MinsCooking Time:
30 MinsThis recipe makes 6 slices
This recipe is free from...
1. Measure out 30g of the caster sugar and whisk with one egg until thick, pale and creamy (takes about 5 mins with an electric whisk and will leave trails across the top when the whisk is lifted out) add 1tsp of the oil and fold in 30g of the flour sifted in.
2. Add a drop of the vanilla to this batch and fold in. Pour into a greased and lined 1lb loaf tin (it will just about cover the bottom),bake in an oven preheated to gas mark 5 for 10 mins.
3. Once that layer is cooked, turn out onto a cooling rack and repeat step one, but with this batch add a few drops yellow colouring and a drop of lemon extract and fold in, again pour in a greased and lined loaf tin and bake on gas 5 for 10 mins.
4. Once more repeat step one and with this one add the pink colour and strawberry or raspberry flavour, again bake as instructed.
5. Once all the layers are cold, with a fork cream together the icing sugar and butter for the buttercream.
6. Place the pink layer on the bottom, spread over half the buttercream and place the yellow layer on top, spread over the rest of the buttercream and place the vanilla layer on top of this.
7. Mix 15ml of water with 65g of icing sugar to make a glossy icing for the top, spread over the majority of the icing reserving a little to do the pink lines. Add a drop or two of pink colour to the remaining icing create lines going across the cake with a spoon and then pull a cocktail stick down the cake to create "peaks" as a pattern in the icing.
Nutritional info per slice