Sweet and Sour chicken has to be my favourite meal, I swear would eat it everyday if I was allowed. The best recipe for gluten free sweet and sour is by far Sweet Mandarin's who kindly let us share their recipe on here. I won't make any other sweet and sour recipe and this is the best one out there!
This recipe is...
High Protein Dairy Free
250g boneless chicken breasts, diced
1tbsp potato starch, and extra for coating (or if you don't have we found rice flour works too)
Vegetable oil for deep fryingSauce
1tsp vegetable oil
1/2 red or green pepper, diced into 1cm cubes
1/2 onion, finely chopped
50g pineapple chunks
5tbsp white sugar
2tbsp tomato ketchup
4tbsp white vinegar
300ml cold waterPreparation Time:
10 MinsCooking Time:
30 MinsThis recipe makes 2 servings
This recipe is free from...
FODMAP friendly if onion is excluded.
1. Put the chicken in a bowl. Add the salt, sugar, potato starch and the water and combine well. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and set aside to marinade in the fridge for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, fill a wok with approx 150ml oil and preheat over a medium heat to 180°C. Test the temperature with a bamboo chopstick (if bubbles form around the chopstick the oil is hot enough).
3. Remove the chicken from the fridge and dip each piece into potato starch to coat it on all sides. Deep-fry the chicken in hot oil for 5-6 minutes until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Pour of the oil from the wok into a metal container; this can be reused for cooking.
4. To make the sauce, return the wok to the hear, add 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and stir-fry the peppers, onion and pineapple over a high heat for 3 minutes until the vegetables start to soften. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Don't overcook the sauce or it will caramelise and turn black.
5. Add the cooked pieces of chicken to the bubbling sauce and toss well to coat. Serve with egg fried rice.We are very grateful to Sweet Mandarin for letting us share this recipe, barely a week goes by when we don't make this, it is the best Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe ever, I have never known chicken to be so moist! Don't forget to visit Sweet Mandarin in Manchester and to buy their cook books and gluten free sauces (available in Holland and Barratt)! This recipe is taken directly from Sweet Mandarin Cookbook"
Nutritional info per serving