I really miss fig rolls, if there is one biscuit I miss as a Coeliac it would be fig rolls, they are absolutely impossible to buy but they are relatively easy to make yourself. The biscuit is gluten and dairy free with a delicious figgy filling. They really are a love it or hate it kind of thing!
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Low Fat Dairy Free
170g rice flour
60g corn flour
1tsp xanthan gum (can be omitted if preferred)
1/2tsp baking powder
1/4tsp bicarbinate of soda
50g dark brown sugar
25g granulated sugar
65g sunflower spread
2 large eggsFilling
250g dried figs
Zest of one lemon
Juice of half a lemonPreparation Time:
25 MinsCooking Time:
20 MinsThis recipe makes 15 fig rolls
This recipe is free from...
1. Mix together rice flour, corn flour, xanthan gum (you can omit this if you wish but the biscuit will be a bit crumblier),baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon.
2. Add the sugars to the flour mix and stir in. Add the sunflower spread and beat in with a fork for a couple of minutes until well combined.
3. Crack the eggs into the mix and beat in with a wooden spoon until the mixture all comes together as a dough.
4. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
5. While you wait for the dough to chill, roughly chop the dried figs and place in a food processor, add in the honey and lemon zest and juice, blend until you get a thick paste (about 30 seconds).
6. Once the dough has chilled, roll out either on a floured surface or between two pieces of cling film. Roll out until about 18" long and about 7" wide, if you want smaller rolls made it longer and slightly smaller in width. The dough should be about 4-5mm thick, you don't want it too thick.
7. Place the fig mix down the middle of the dough then fold the edges round, press the edges together so they seal. Cut into pieces. Lightly press a fork on top to get the lined pattern.
8. Grease a baking tray and place the biscuits on, they don't spread much so you can put them fairly close together. Bake in an oven preheated to gas mark 4 for 15-20 minutes until well browned.
You can use regular margarine instead of sunflower spread if preferred
Nutritional info per fig roll