Another classic dessert. Custard tarts are relatively easy to make, it's the gluten free shortcrust pastry that cakes the most effort to perfect. These are filled with silky smooth custard made with soya milk to make them fabulously dairy free. You can make this as one large custard tart or as small ones as we have done.
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Low Sugar Low Fat Dairy Free FODMAP Friendly
225g Gluten free plain flour
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
112g soya spread
1 egg yolk
56g caster sugar
150ml soya milk
1/2tsp vanilla escencePreparation Time:
25 MinsCooking Time:
45 MinsThis recipe makes 5 tarts
This recipe is free from...
1. Sift together the flour, salt and xanthan gum.
2. Rub in the soya spread to make a breadcrumb consistency.
3. Mix in the egg yolk and sugar.
4. With a round ended knife, gradually mix in the water until you reach a nice doughy consistency. You might need more or less than the 2 tbsp specified.
5. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 15 mins or so before use.
6. Roll out the pastry and cut into 6 circles using a large cutter.
7. Line a muffin tin with the pastry, place pieces of baking parchment in the cases and top with baking beads or rice, blind bake for 15 mins on gas mark 5.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Beat all the filling ingredients together, sieve and pour into the cases, cook for 30-40 mins on gas mark 5 until custard is set.
Regular milk can be used in place of soya milk if you prefer the recipe to not be dairy free
Nutritional info per tart