Custard Creams - Coeliac Sanctuary
Posted On: 9th March 2019
Custard creams are one of those classic British biscuits everyone loves and you won't believe how simple they are to make. Ours are not only gluten free but also dairy free and Vegan. To make them more authentic why not buy some custard cream cutters so they look the part!
Recipe By: Alison Wheatley at http://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk
This recipe is...
112g sunflower spread
50g caster sugar
1.5tbsp vanilla extract
170g gluten free plain flour
65g custard powder (we used Asda's own brand)
2tbsp rice milk (or other dairy free milk)
120g icing sugar
60g sunflower spread
1tbsp custard powder
1tsp vanilla extract
Preparation Time: 20 Mins
Cooking Time: 10 Mins
This recipe is free from...
Celery, Crustaceans, Dairy, Egg, Fish, Gluten, Lupin, Molluscs, Mustard, Peanuts, Sesame, Soya, Sulphites, Tree Nuts
1. Cream together the sunflower spread and caster sugar using a fork.
2. Add in the vanilla extract, flour and custard powder, work the mix with your hands to bring the mix to a breadcrumb type consistency.
3. Beat in the milk to form a dough, add slowly, you may need more or less that the 2tbsp, you need the mix to form a stiff ball, not dry and cumbly but also not too wet you can't handle it.
4. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for 10 mins.
5. Roll the dough out either on a floured surface or between two pieces of clingfilm. Roll until about 1/2cm thick.
6. We used a custard cream cutter but you could just cut them into rectangles about 5cm x 3.5cm. The dough will make about 20 biscuits, or 40 separate halves. Use a cutter (you can buy a set of classic biscuit cutters on Amazon) or free hand cut 40 halves.
7. Place the biscuits on a lined baking tray and bake on gas mark 4 for 10 mins until the edges start turning golden.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, in the mean time you can make the filling.
9. To make the filling, cream together all the ingredients for the custard cream together in a bowl. We find if you place it in the fridge for 20 mins or so before using it goes quite thick and custard like.
10. Once the biscuits are cold, spread about a teaspoon worth of the custard onto one half and press a second one on top.
This recipe makes 20 biscuits
Nutritional info per biscuit
© 2019 Coeliac Sanctuary - https://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk