Crumpets - Coeliac Sanctuary
Posted On: 17th November 2018
Crumpets, perfect for a snack or breakfast, simply an unsweetened griddled batter. Our recipe is gluten free, dairy free and vegan. They do take a bit of patience to master but once you have them you won't be able to stop making them! They are also freezable so why not do more mix so you always have some on hand.
Recipe By: Alison Wheatley at http://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk
This recipe is...
125ml rice milk (or other dairy free milk)
5g dried yeast
150g gluten free bread flour
1/4tsp xanthan gum
1/4tsp bicarbonate of soda
100ml tepid water
Preparation Time: 1 Hour 10 Mins
Cooking Time: 6 Mins
This recipe is free from...
Celery, Crustaceans, Dairy, Egg, Fish, Gluten, Lupin, Molluscs, Mustard, Peanuts, Sesame, Soya, Sulphites, Tree Nuts
1. Warm milk until tepid, add the yeast and sugar, stir and put in a warm place for 15 mins until frothy.
2. Mix flour, xanthan gum and bicarb together in a bowl, make a well in middle and pour in yeast and milk, mix with a bell whisk. The mix should be double cream consistency, add tepid water until it reaches this consistency, we found about 100ml was needed but you may need more or less.
3. Cover with cling film and leave to proove for 45 mins in a warm place until you get little holes on the top and it's puffed up.
4. Put a little oil in a frying pan and grease 4 crumpet rings, heat the pan on a low/medium heat.
5. Add 1/4 of the mix to each ring, fry for 5 mins then flip over and fry the top of 1 minute.
You can replace dairy free milk with regular milk if dairy free isn't required.
This recipe makes 4 crumpets
Nutritional info per crumpet
© 2019 Coeliac Sanctuary - https://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk