I do like the occasional creme egg, and I know so many Coeliacs are glad they are gluten free. Place them in a muffin and I love them more. These muffins need to be quite stiff to hold the creme egg but they are still deliciously chocolatey and topped with a really soft whipped cream and mini creme eggs.
This recipe is...
6 Cadbury creme eggs
125g margarine (or butter if preferred)
125g caster sugar
2 large eggs
125g gluten free plain flour
1/2tsp baking powder
5g cocoa powder
100ml double cream
Yellow food colouring
6 Cadbury mini creme eggsPreparation Time:
45 MinsCooking Time:
20 MinsThis recipe makes 6 muffins
This recipe is free from...
1. Place the creme eggs in the freezer for half an hour before making the cakes.
2. Cream together the margarine and caster sugar using a fork until creamy.
3. Beat in one of the eggs with a wooden spoon.
4. Place flour, baking powder and cocoa powder in a bowl, sift half of this mix into creamed mixture and beat in.
5. Crack in the second egg, beat, then add the rest of the flour mixture, mix well until thick and thoroughly combined.
6. Line 6 holes of a muffin tin with muffin cases, Place a spoonful of cake mix in the bottom of each, press an unwrapped frozen creme egg into each and then top with more cake mix, make sure the egg is well covered.
7. Place in an oven preheated to gas mark 5 and bake for 20 mins. With the creme eggs being frozen it will take them longer to melt in the oven so they won't seep out and will remain a good consistency in the middle.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
9. Once cold, whisk the cream until stiff, split the cream equally into two bowls, add a couple of drops of yellow food colouring to one batch and stir in. If you don't want to use cream you could make some buttercream instead.
10. Gently spoon the cream into a piping bag, fill slowly, a spoonful at a time, try and put yellow down one side and white down the other, so you get a stripe effect. Alternately you could paint some of the yellow in stripes down the bag and then fill the rest with white.
11. Pipe the cream onto the top of the muffins, cut the mini creme eggs in half and place on top.
Nutritional info per muffin