Coffee and walnut cake is one of those popular classic, traditionally it is done as a sandwich cake though, in this one though I have done it as a loaf cake. It is gluten free and dairy free and goes great with a nice hot brew! I added some wonderful coffee icing to give it that extra caffeine hit.
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Dairy Free FODMAP Friendly
115g sunflower spread
200g caster sugar
1tbsp sunflower oil
4 large eggs
215g gluten free self raising flour
100g walnut halves
50g sunflower spread
120g icing sugarPreparation Time:
15 MinsCooking Time:
40 MinsThis recipe makes 10 Slices
This recipe is free from...
1. Cream together the sunflower spread and sugar. Mix the coffee in about 60ml of water and beat into the creamed mix. Don't use hot water otherwise you will melt the spread.
2. Beat in the oil and one egg, sift in 1/4 of the flour, beat then add another egg and beat, repeat until all the eggs and flour have been beat in.
3. Remove 4 or 5 walnut halves to use as decoration later, bash the rest of the nuts with a rolling pin, you want them semi chunky but not full halves, then pour into the cake batter and mix.
4. Grease a 2lb loaf tin and pour in the mix. Bake in an oven preheated to gas mark 5 for 40-45 minutes until well browned and a skewer pressed into the middle comes out clean.
5. Once cooked turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to go cold.
6. When the cake is cold. Cream together the icing sugar and margarine and then beat in 1tsp of coffee dissolved in 2tsp of cold water to make a coffee butter cream. Spread over the top of the cake and place the reserved walnut halves from earlier on top.
If you don't need dairy free margarine can be used instead of sunflower spread
Nutritional info per Slice