Microwave Clootie Dumpling - Coeliac Sanctuary
Posted On: 31st December 2016
A traditional Scottish dessert commonly associated with Hogmanay. Clootie is actually a strip of cloth so this is more of a rip of version as it isn't boiled in a cloth like tradition, instead we do it in the microwave and of course made it gluten free. It is packed with fruit, almost like a fruit cake and is super delicious.
Recipe By: Alison Wheatley at http://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk
This recipe is...
100g caster sugar
40ml golden syrup
2tbsp mixed spice
130g sunflower spread
175g dried mixed fruit
30g whole blanched almonds
220g gluten free plain flour
7g bicarbinate of soda
Preparation Time: 15 Mins
Cooking Time: 20 Mins
This recipe is free from...
Celery, Crustaceans, Dairy, Fish, Gluten, Lupin, Molluscs, Mustard, Peanuts, Sesame, Soya, Sulphites,
1. Place the water, sugar, golden syrup, cinnamon, mixed spice and sunflower spread into a large saucepan, place on a medium heat and stir until the sunflower spread has melted.
2. Add the mixed fruit, sultanas and almonds to the wet mix and bring the mix to the boil and allow to simmer for a few minutes. Once simmered set aside to cool.
3. Once the fruit mix is cool sift in the flour and bicarb, briefly mix and crack in the eggs, mix well with a wooden spoon until all combined.
4. Line a large glass bowl with cling film and then pour in the mixture, give it a shake so it fills all the spaces. Place the bowl in the microwave for 14 minutes (for a 750W microwave, 10 minutes for a 900W). Once cooked through a skewer or knife pushed into the middle will come out clean.
5. Tip the glass bowl upside down onto a plate and give it a wiggle, the glass bowl should easily lift off the clootie.
You can use margarine or butter instead of sunflower spread if you don't want them dairy free
This recipe makes 10 servings
Nutritional info per serving
© 2020 Coeliac Sanctuary - https://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk