Christmas isn't complete without a Christmas cake, this one is gluten and dairy free and is easy to make, plus it is lovely and moist too with the added Sherry! We have packed it full of delicious mixed fruit, just like a proper Christmas cake and added almonds to the mix to make it lovely a dense as a fruit cake should be.
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Dairy Free
500g (combined weight) mixed fruit, mixed peel and cherries
125g soya spread
125g brown sugar
150g gluten free plain flour
1tsp mixed spice
100g ground almondsPreparation Time:
3 Hours 30 MinsCooking Time:
2 HoursThis recipe makes 10 servings
This recipe is free from...
1.Place the mixed fruit, peel and cherries in a large bowl, pour on the sherry and mix well. Cover and leave to absorb for a minimum of 3 hours but ideally overnight.
2. Cream together the soya spread and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
3. Drain the unabsorbed sherry from off the fruit into a jug.
4. Beat the eggs, 2tbsp of the unabsorbed sherry (or extra if you have none left over) and mixed spice into the soya spread and sugar mix.
5. The soya spread is likely to have split at this point but don't worry. Fold in the flour, until its mostly mixed it, then give it a good beat, this should bring the mix back together and the texture should change to look more like a cake mix.
6. Stir in all the fruits and the ground almonds and mix well.
7. Grease and line and 8 inch cake tin, pour in the mixture and bake in the oven on gas mark 4 for between 1 and half to 2 and half hours. Once a skewer or knife pushed into the middle of the cake comes out clean the cake is done.
8. Remove from the tin and allow to cool on a cooling rack. This cake will keep for a good few months so you can make it well in time for xmas, just keep feeding the bottom of the cake with a few tsps of sherry every few weeks to keep it moist, then nearer to xmas you are free to decorate it it however you want!
Soya spread can be replaced with normal margarine if dairy free is not required
Nutritional info per serving