Bread and butter pudding has always been a family favourite and gluten free bread works well with it as it is slightly drier than normal bread. In this recipe with teamed up with Juvela to create a wonderful chocolate orange bread and butter pudding using their bread. Wonderfully tangy and aromatic!
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Low Calorie High Protein
8 slices Juvela White Gluten Free Bread
80g margarine or butter
2 1/2tsp ground ginger
2 egg yolks
400ml whole milk
90g dark chocolate (preferably 70% cocoa)
1 large orange (optional)Preparation Time:
1 Hour 40 MinsCooking Time:
40 MinsThis recipe makes 6 servings
This recipe is free from...
1. Spread one side of each slice of the Juvela White Bread with margarine or butter. Turnover and spread a thick layer of marmalade on the other side of each slice. Cut each one in half diagonally to make triangles.
2. Grease a deep square oven dish, an 8 inch dish works well. With the point at the top, stand 10 of the slices up down the middle, don't worry if is a tight fit, put the remaining ones down the side (so it almost looks like a cross).
3. In a bowl mix together the ground ginger and sugar, spoon between each slice of bread and down the sides, scatter any remaining over the top.
4. Beat the egg and yolks together then set aside. Place the whole milk in a saucepan, break the chocolate into the milk then heat over a low heat, continuously stirring until all the chocolate has melted. Pour into a jug or bowl and set aside until cool, tepid to the touch is fine but no hotter.
5. Once the milk has cooled, stir in the eggs, continuously stir as you pour the milk into eggs, making sure it is well combined to make chocolate custard. Pour the custard mix over the bread; make sure to get it between the slices and all around.
6. This step can be a little bit messy. Press the bread down fairly firmly and hold for a minute or too, this will help the bread absorb the custard. Cover with cling film and set aside for around and hour to let the custard soak in more. If the bread floats up put a magazine or a small book on the top to hold the bread down.
7. Once it has been left for an hour, place in an oven preheated to gas mark 4 and bake for 30-40 minutes until well cooked though (custard should be fairly solid) and the tops of the bread well browned and crispy. Add slices of orange between the bread slices for that extra hit of orange. Serve hot with custard or cream.This recipe is sponsored by Juvela
Nutritional info per serving