You really can't beat a proper English pie. Delicious gluten free shortcrust pastry which is both gluten and dairy free (pie filling isn't dairy free though) and a gorgeous creamy chicken and mushroom filling. Served with a good heap of seasonal veg and some chunky chips, its a pub meal in your own home.
This recipe is...
Low Sugar High Protein
250g gluten free plain flour
1 large egg
3 large chestnut mushrooms
2 chicken fillets
25g gluten free plain flour
100ml chicken stock
2.5tbsp double creamPreparation Time:
20 MinsCooking Time:
1 Hour 15 MinsThis recipe makes 4 servings
This recipe is free from...
1. Rub together the flour and butter to create breadcrumbs, add in the majority of the egg, reserving a small amount just for brushing the pie top later.
2. If the pastry comes together in a nice solid ball without falling apart leave the water out, if it crumbles and doesn't hold together add it in. If the mixture is too sticky add a small amount of flour until it becomes more manageable.
3. Grease a half litre pie dish, split the pastry so you have 2/3 of it to roll out now and 1/3 for the top, roll out the pastry on a floured surface until about 1cm thick, wrap around the rolling pin and lift over the dish, push the pastry into the corners and make sure it slightly overlaps the top in order to stick the lid down. Set the pastry case and remaining portion aside for later
4. Dice the onion, chop the mushrooms into quarters and cut the chicken into chunks. Add the onion and mushrooms to a frying pan and fry for 3-4 mins until golden, add in the chicken and cook through thoroughly for 4-5 mins.
5. Add the flour to the pan and mix through the chicken, gradually add the milk and stir, then add 100ml of chicken stock, stir well and allow to simmer for a couple of minutes, the sauce should begin to thicken.
6. Remove the chicken from the heat and stir through the cream, cover with cling film and allow the chicken mix to cool down for 10-15 mins before putting into the pastry case.
7. Place the chicken in the pastry case. Apply a little egg to the edges of the pastry case to give the top something to stick to, roll out the remaining pastry and place on top of the pie, crimp the edges with a fork so make them stick together. Create a few holes with a fork in the lid to let the steam out while cooking and then brush egg on the top.
8. Place the pie in a oven preheated to gas mark 4 for 50 mins to 1 hour until the pastry is nice and golden.
NB: You could make this dairy free by using soya milk, soya cream and dairy free spread
Nutritional info per serving