You can get so inventive with cakes, whether they are gluten free or not. These cute cakes are made easily but using a combination of chocolate cakes and vanilla, cut in the right places to make the cakes looks like burgers in buns, decorate with some gluten free butter cream and you can add icing salad, cheese and seeds.
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Dairy Free
130g sunflower spread (or margarine)
130g caster sugar
130g gluten free self raising flour
1/2tbsp cocoa powderButter cream fillings
50g sunflower spread (or margarine)
100g icing sugar
Food ColouringIcing sesame seeds
20g icing sugarPreparation Time:
30 MinsCooking Time:
20 MinsThis recipe makes 8 cupcakes
This recipe is free from...
1. Cream sunflower spread and caster sugar together until creamy
2. Beat the eggs in a jug then mix 1/3 into the creamed mixture, beat in 1/3 of the flour, repeat until all the egg and flour has been mixed in.
3. Place 1/3 of the cake batter in another bowl and beat the cocoa powder into this 1/3.
4. Line a cupcake tin with cases fill eight with the plain cake mix and the other 4 with the chocolate. Bake in an oven preheated to gas mark 5 for 15-20 minutes until the plain ones are golden brown.
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Once cold cut each cake in half.
6. Cream together sunflower spread and icing sugar, we split our into two and added yellow colouring to one and green to the other to make cheese and lettuce colours. Make a little extra if you want to add other colours such as red for tomato, darker green for pickles etc.
7. Add a touch of butter cream to the bottom half of a vanilla cake, stick half a chocolate on top of this and then add some green butter cream to the top of the chocolate cake layer. Make sure some drips over the edges so it looks like the lettuce is hanging out the side. Follow up with some yellow for cheese, again make sure some hangs over.
8. Press the top of plain cake onto the top. Repeat with all the other cakes to make 8 burger cakes. Finish by making up white icing sugar with a drop of water. Use a cocktail stick to add pin prick "seeds" to the top of the bun. For extra detail make some flags from cocktail sticks and paper. Perfect for that extra touch at birthday parties or barbecues.
Margarine can be used in place of sunflower spread if dairy free not required
Nutritional info per cupcake