Apart from coming from Birmingham, there isn't really much else behind the name, I don't know when they came from Birmingham and even more I've spoke to Brummies who have no idea what they are, but there you go! These gluten free scone type bacon cakes make a delicious alternative breakfast or lunch!
This recipe is...
Low Calorie Low Sugar Low Fat Egg Free
3 rashers bacon
225g gluten free self raising flour
85g mature grated cheese
1tbsp gluten free worcestershire saucePreparation Time:
15 MinsCooking Time:
40 MinsThis recipe makes 8 Cakes
This recipe is free from...
1. Cook the bacon under the grill until crispy. Let it cool a little once cooked.
2. Place the flour and butter in a bowl and rub together with your hands to make breadcrumbs.
3. Once bacon has cooled down cut into pieces and place in the bowl with the breadcrumbs. Add in 60g of the cheese, milk, ketchup and worcestershire sauce. Mix together to form a dough.
4. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out to about an inch and half in thickness. Rolling out into a rough square works best.
5. Cut the dough into 8 triangles and place on a greased baking tray. Brush a little milk onto the top of each and finish off by sprinkling over the remaining 25g of grated cheese. Alternatively you could roll out to about 2inch thick and use a cookie cutter to cut out scone size rounds.
6. Place the baking tray in an oven preheated to gas mark 5 and allow to bake for 20-30 minutes until cooked through and golden. Serve warm. If you don't want to eat immediately, warm them up for 5-10 minutes in the oven later on.
This recipe was first seen in our 2017 recipe calendar.
Nutritional info per Cake