Boston cream pie is a delicious cake filled with custard or cream and topped with chocolate. This version is gluten free and filled to bursting with an amazingly creamy custard filling and a rich dark chocolate glaze, almost like a traditional American Boston cream pie! A great cake for any day of the week.
This recipe is...
2 egg yolks
2tsp vanilla extract
60g granulated sugarCake
270g gluten free self raising flour
225g caster sugar
1.5tsp vanilla extract
1 egg whiteTopping
80g dark chocolate
50g icing sugarPreparation Time:
25 MinsCooking Time:
2 Hours 30 MinsThis recipe makes 10 slices
This recipe is free from...
1. Beat egg yolks in a jug or bowl and gradually pour in the milk while still beating, add in the vanilla extract.
2. Put the cornflour and sugar in a saucepan and stir together, while still stirring slowly pour in the milk and egg mix, place the pan on a medium heat and keep stirring otherwise it will curdle, keep stirring for 5-10 minutes until the custard begins to thicken. Once thickened remove from the heat and press cling film onto the top of the custard. Set aside to go cold for at least 2 hours.
3. While the custard is cooling you can make the cake. Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk with an electric whisk until thick and creamy.
4. Grease a 7 or 8 inch cake pan and pour in the mix, bake in an oven preheated to gas mark 4 for 40 minutes, after this time, if it is not cooked (a knife or skewer pressed into the centre comes out with raw mix on),cover with tin foil and lower the heat to gas mark 2 and cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until knife/skewer comes out clean.
5. Turn the cooked cake out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool for at least half an hour then cut in half so the custard can be sandwiched in the middle. Allow the cake to fully go cold (at least another hour).
6. Once both cake and custard are cold, spread the custard on one half of the cake and then place the other half of the cake on top.
7. To make the topping melt the chocolate and butter together in saucepan on a low heat. Once melted add in the icing sugar and stir in, spread the chocolate on top of the cake allowing some to slide down the sides. Use a fork or spatula to create peaks on the top of the cake. Allow the chocolate to harden. Best kept in the fridge to keep the custard cold!
Nutritional info per slice