Babka - Coeliac Sanctuary
Posted On: 13th April 2019
This sweet yeast bread (which is quite cakey) is served traditionally at Easter, filled with rum soaked sultanas it is quite a boozy feast! This recipe is gluten and dairy free but still packed with flavour that is sure to go down well at any Easter gathering.
Recipe By: Alison Wheatley at http://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk
This recipe is...
4tbsp dark rum
7g dried yeast
60ml warm water
175g sunflower spread
220ml rice milk
1.5tsp vanilla extract
425g gluten free plain flour
Preparation Time: 1 Hour
Cooking Time: 40 Mins
This recipe is free from...
Celery, Crustaceans, Dairy, Fish, Gluten, Lupin, Molluscs, Mustard, Peanuts, Sesame, Soya, Sulphites, Tree Nuts
1. Soak the sultanas in rum for 30 mins to an hour.
2. Dissolve the yeast in warm water (not hot) and set aside to go frothy for 10-20 minutes.
3. Place the sunflower spread, sugar and salt in a saucepan and heat until the spread is just melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the milk.
4. Beat the eggs together with the vanilla in a jug.
5. Place the flour in a bowl, pour in the sultanas and any left over rum, add in the sunflower spread mix, yeast and egg then beat well.
6. Grease a babka or bundt tin and pour in the mix, bake in an oven preheated to gas mark 5/190°C for 35-40 minutes until a knife pressed into the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack, then dust with icing sugar.
Recipe first seen on our 2018 calendar
This recipe makes 12 slices
Nutritional info per slice
© 2020 Coeliac Sanctuary - https://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk