Apple pie and apple crumble have to be two of the best desserts so it's only right to combine the two desserts into one. Beautiful tart apples cooked in a gorgeous gluten free shortcrust and a crunchy gluten free crumble topping rather than a pastry top! Served with custard it's a perfect British dessert.
This recipe is...
225g GF plain flour
1 egg yolk
56g caster sugar
4 bramley apples
4 tbsp caster sugarCrumble
100g gluten free flour (either plain or self raising)
50g caster sugarPreparation Time:
40 MinsCooking Time:
1 HourThis recipe makes 8 servings
This recipe is free from...
1. Sift the flour into a bowl then rub in the margarine to make a breadcrumb consistency.
2. Mix in the egg yolk and sugar.
3. With a round ended knife, gradually mix in the water until you reach a nice doughy consistency. You might need more or less than the 2 tbsp specified.
4. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 15 mins or so.
5. While the pastry is chilling, decore the apples and place on a plate, put a tbsp of caster sugar in the middle of each apple and place in the microwave for 10-15 minutes until the apples are softened.
6. By the time the apples are done your pastry should be ready to roll. Remove from the fridge and roll on either a well floured surface or between two pieces of clingfilm until about half a centimetre in thickness.
7. Grease a flan dish and place the pastry over, push down into the corners and cut any over hanging pastry off. Place greaseproof paper inside, big enough that it comes up the sides, and pour in baking beans (or rice if you don't have baking beans),blind bake in an oven preheated to gas mark 4 for 15-20 mins until lightly golden.
8. While the pastry is blind baking, scoop the flesh of the apples out of the skin and place in a bowl along with any sugary liquid that has seeped out during cooking. Mix well so the sugar combines with the apple and set aside.
9. To make the crumble rub together the flour, cinnamon, margarine and sugar to make course crumbs.
10. Once blind baked, remove the pastry from the oven, remove the beans and greaseproof paper. Pour in the apple and smooth over the pastry, top this with the crumble mix. Place back in the oven on gas mark 4 for bake for a further 25-30 minutes until the crumble is golden brown.
Nutritional info per serving