Basic vanilla sponge cake, made gluten and dairy free, really easy to make and this can be the base for a multitude of different cakes from fairy cakes to birthday cakes. You can also do this recipe not dairy free by simply using any margarine and milk. If you aren't the most confident of baker, a plain sponge is always the best place to start.
This recipe is...
Vegetarian FODMAP Friendly
IngredientsFor the cake
3 eggs (weigh these in their shell)
Weight of eggs, same amount caster sugar
Weight of eggs, same amount sunflower spread
Weight of eggs, same amount gluten free self raising flour
Pinch Xanthan gum
1/2 tbsp dairy free milk
Couple drops vanilla essenceFor the buttercream
40g sunflower spread
80g icing sugarPreparation Time:
15 MinsCooking Time:
30 MinsThis recipe makes 10 slices
This recipe is free from...
1. Weigh the eggs and weigh out the same amount of sugar and sunflower spread into a mixing bowl and flour into a separate bowl (e.g. if your eggs are 150g, use 150g sugar, sunflower spread and flour). By using the same weights as the eggs you get a nice soft and light sponge
2. Cream together the sunflower spread and sugar with a fork until you get a nice smooth cream
3. In a jug beat together the eggs, vanilla essence and dairy free milk.
4. Add the xanthan gum to your flour
5. Add some of the egg mix to the sugar mix and beat in with a wooden spoon, repeat with some of the flour, keep alternating between the two until all the egg and flour mixes are used up.
6. Grease two sandwich tins with sunflower spread
7. Add equal amount of the cake mix to both tins and put in the over for 20-30 mins until golden brown and cooked through
8. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack
9. Once cold, cream together the icing sugar and sunflower spread until smooth, spread onto one of the sponges and lay the other sponge on top.
You could always add icing on top too like I did!
Soya spread can be replaced with normal margarine and soya milk replaced with semi skimmed milk if dairy free isn't required
Nutritional info per per slice