Slow Cooked Steak and Kidney Pie - Coeliac Sanctuary
Posted On: 2nd May 2019
I love steak and kidney pie, topped with light and flaky gluten free shortcrust pastry this one simply melts in the mouth. A perfect family favourite, served in individual portions to keep it easy to serve, great to have at the weekend after being cooked slowly as a comfort food treat!
Recipe By: Alison Wheatley at http://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk
This recipe is...
300g stewing beef
100g lamb or ox kidney
300ml beef stock
2tsp gluten free gravy granules
2tsp mixed herbs
120g gluten free plain flour
1 small egg
Preparation Time: 30 Mins
Cooking Time: 6 Hours 30 Mins
This recipe is free from...
Celery, Crustaceans, Fish, Gluten, Lupin, Molluscs, Mustard, Peanuts, Sesame, Soya, Tree Nuts
1. Place the stewing steak and chopped kidney into two small pie dishes, add chopped onion, mixed herbs and stock, stir to combine. Cook for 5-6 hours on Gas Mark 1/140°C.
2. About an hour before it is cooked make the pastry. Place the flour, spread and salt in a bowl, using your hands, rub into breadcrumb consistency. Add some of the water and bring together with a round ended knife, if too dry add more of the water, if wet enough, leave as it is. Wrap the pastry in clingfilm and put in the fridge for at least 10 minutes to chill.
3. Once meat is cooked, remove from the oven and mix in gravy granules to thicken.
4. Roll out pastry and place on top of the dishes, crimp the edge with a fork and cut two slots in the top for steam to come out of. Brush some beaten egg on the top.
5. Place back in the oven for 30 mins on Gas Mark 4/180°C until pastry is cooked through.
This recipe makes 2 servings
Nutritional info per serving
© 2019 Coeliac Sanctuary - https://www.coeliacsanctuary.co.uk