Eggnog is naturally gluten free and one of those drinks that is a must at Christmas, however if you are not a drinker you may have bypassed the whisky filled version and never drank it. No fear, our version is alcohol free so even the kids can indulge in this fabulously creamy Christmas beverage!
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Low Sugar Alcohol Free
2 egg yolks
600ml milk (semi skimmed or whole)
200ml + 100ml double cream
1tsp vanilla extract
1/2tsp nutmegPreparation Time:
2 Hours 30 MinsCooking Time:
20 MinsThis recipe makes 6 servings
This recipe is free from...
1. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, yolks and sugar until well combined.
2. Place the milk and 200ml of double cream in a saucepan and place on a low to medium heat until it is almost hot but not boiling.
3. Pour 1/4 of the heated milk into the beaten eggs, whisking as you pour, return to the pan with the rest of the milk and place back on the heat.
4. When on the heat, keep stirring with a wooden spoon until it thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon, it should take 5 to 10 minutes to thicken.
5. Once thickened remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla and nutmeg. Allow to go cool, then chill, it will take a good few hours to go fully cold.
6. Once cold and ready to serve whip the remaining 100ml of cream with an electric whisk until stiff peaks.
7. Gently stir the cream into the cooled egg nog, pour into glasses and sprinkle a little more nutmeg on top. It will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
NB: if you do want this alcoholic, add a good slug of whisky when you add the vanilla and nutmeg.
Nutritional info per serving