With winter fast approaching it's time for warm, stodgy comfort food. Bursting with flavour and spice, this naturally gluten free lentil and gammon soup is one of my ultimate favourites. It freezes well to batch cook and bring out as a quick meal, just, make sure it is fully cold before popping into a freezable container.
This recipe is...
Low Calorie Low Fat High Protein Slimming World Friendly
1.5kg gammon joint, all visible fat removed
500g red lentils, rinsed
4 large carrots, finely diced
4 celery stalks, chopped
3 large brown onions, diced
6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1.5tbsp garam masala
1 inch fresh ginger, chopped
2 chillis, sliced (reserve a bit to serve, optional)
2 low salt chicken stock cubes
2.5 litres of boiling water
2 tbsp oil or low calorie cooking spray Preparation Time:
20 MinsCooking Time:
4 HoursThis recipe makes 10 servings
This recipe is free from...
1. Soak the gammon in cold water overnight, skim off any layers of salt when needed.
2. Boil the gammon as per pack instructions ( if your gammon doesn't come with instructions, boil in a pan for 2-3 hours until cooked)
3. Once the gammon is cooked set aside.
4. Heat the oil or low calorie spray in a large saucepan and add the onion, celery and carrot. Cook on low until soft (approximately 5-10 minutes).
5. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli and spices, cook for 1 minute to let the aromas release.
6. Pour in the boiling water and crumble in the stock cubes. Add the lentils and cook for approximately 25 minutes, stirring occasionally so the lentils do not stick.
7. Shred the gammon and add to the pan, cook for another 5 minutes.
8. Serve with a sprinkle of the remaining chilli and coriander.
Nutritional info per servings