Hot cross buns are readily available in most supermarkets come Easter, even gluten free hot cross buns are usually available but they aren't always cheap so why not have a go at making your own, gluten free bread isn't the easiest to master but they aren't half fun to have a go at!
This recipe is...
Vegetarian Low Fat Dairy Free FODMAP Friendly
125ml warm water
150ml warm almond milk
500g gluten free plain flour
1/2 tbsp bicarbinate of soda
100g dried fruit
50g dried mixed peelCrosses
50g plain flour
2tbsp warm waterPreparation Time:
1 Hour 30 MinsCooking Time:
25 MinsThis recipe makes 12 hot cross buns
This recipe is free from...
1. Place the warm water and milk (hand warm not hot, otherwise it will kill the yeast) in a jug and stir in the yeast. Leave to stand in a warm place for 10-15 minutes for it to go frothy.
2. Meanwhile in a large bowl stir together the flour, cinnamon, sugar, salt and bicarb, set aside until the yeast is ready.
3. Once the yeast mix is frothy add both the egg and yeast mix to the flour, briefly mix with a fork until it starts to combine then use your hands to bring all the dough together. If the mix is falling apart and not sticking together add a little more warm water, if it is too wet add a touch of flour and knead until the dough is soft and pliable. Knead for a minute or too to ensure the dough is well combined.
4. Add in the dried fruit and mixed peel and kneed again for a minute or two to create an even spread through the dough.
5. Split the dough into 12 equal balls and place each fairly close together on a greased baking tray, cover the tray with greased clingfilm and leave to prove in a warm place. We find heating the oven to gas mark 1 or 2 and placing the tray in the grill (if your grill is above the oven) works best, or even placing on the hob when the oven is hot. Alternatively anywhere warm will work.
6. Leave the buns to prove for around an hour, the should have doubled in size.
7. Mix together plain flour and water to create the crosses, dribble the mix over each bun with a spoon or piping bag to create the crosses.
8. Place the buns in an oven preheated to gas mark 5 and bake for 20-25 minutes until well browned.
9. Remove from oven. While still hot, dissolve the sugar in some water and brush over the buns to give them their sticky glaze. Separate and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
Nutritional info per hot cross bun