Gluten Free Lemon and Ginger Roll - Coeliac Sanctuary
Posted On: 24th October 2017
This is a low calorie twist on a swiss roll so is made slightly different, it is gluten free but also Slimming World Friendly, it has a light yogurt based filling rather than cream and the sponge is sweetened with a combo of sugar and sweetener. It is super light with a serious hit of lemon and ginger.
This recipe is...
Low Calorie, Low Fat, Slimming World Friendly, Vegetarian
60g brown sugar
80g gluten free plain flour
1tsp baking powder
3tsp ground ginger
2tbsp lemon curd
150g quark or fat free greek yogurt
1tbsp lemon juice
Preparation Time: 20 Mins
Cooking Time: 10 Mins
This recipe is free from...
Celery, Crustaceans, Fish, Gluten, Lupin, Molluscs, Mustard, Peanuts, Sesame, Soya, Sulphites, Tree Nuts
1. Crack eggs into a large bowl, add the brown sugar and sweetener whisk with an electric whisk until thick and frothy, at least 5 minutes. It should leave a trail across the top of the mix.
2. Warm the treacle for 10 seconds in the microwave, pour in a large circle around the edge of the whisked eggs.
3. Sift in flour, baking powder, ginger and cinnamon, work quickly so the eggs don't lose their air. Gently but swiftly fold the flour and treacle into the the egg mix.
4. Line a swiss roll tin with baking parchment, pour in the mix and place in an oven heated to gas mark 5 for 8-10 minutes.
5. Place a sheet of baking parchment on a worktop, sprinkle over a spoonful of sugar and tip the cake onto it. Remove the baking parchment from the bottom of the cake. Gently fold up the sides while the cake is hot to train it to bend and score a line about an inch in from one of the shorter edges to make it easier to roll up.
6. Allow to cool, once cool spread over the lemon curd.
7. Mix quark, lemon juice and sweetener and spread over. Alternatively, if you want a more creamy, higher calorie filling, whip up around 150ml of double cream and spread that over instead.
8. Once you have spread the filling over, lay the cake with the scored edge away from you. Using the baking parchment to help you, pull the scored edge toward you into a tight roll, once this roll is down loosen off and continue roll up. Slice and serve.
NB If you are doing Slimming World this recipe is 4.5 syns a slice when you use the quark filling.
This recipe makes 10 slices
Nutritional info per slice
© 2021 Coeliac Sanctuary -